Barron’s Essentfal Wordsfor the IELTS will help familiarize you with the vocabulary you will find in the reading•and Ustenlng sections of the IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System). As the number of words you understand when you are reading and listening increases. your spe8.king and writing vocabulary Will improve as welJ.
:VOCABULARY AND THE IELTS
Vocabulary Is not tested directly on the IELTS. There are no questions on the IELTS that ask specifically for the meaning of a word. However. comprehension is tested. Can you understand what you read? Can you understand what you hear? The more words you know. the more you will understand . The more words you know, the more fluently you will be able to speak and write.
Essential Wordsfor the IELTS will teach you 600 words that you might find on the exam in reading and listening and that you might use in writing and speaking. You Will also learn how to use various clues for understanding the meaning of new words.
• Context clues. The context provides clues about the meaning of a word. These clues may be in the same sentence or in the same paragraph . You will learn to look for definitions. synonyms. or para phrases within the text.
• Punctuation. This can be helpful because a definition or synonym Is often set apart by parentheses. commas. dashes, or a colon.
• Compound words, prehes, and sufflxes. These can help you
analyze a word to determine the meaning. You will learn to recog nize common prefixes and suffixes and understand how words are joined together to form new words.
• Word tam.Wes. These are the different parts of speech-noun. verb. adjective, and advrb-that share a similar meaning. The book pres ents word family charts to help you learn the most common forms.
• Dictionary. If none of the above have helped you understand the meaning of a word, you can use a dictionary designed for learners of English.
In Essential Wordsfor the IELTS you will practice one very effective vocabulary strategy that will improve your comprehension. This effec tive strategy is to use a word four ways: Read the word, write the word . listen to the word. and speak the word. Every activity in each chapter will help you develop this sklll.